Message from the Dean
Welcome to teacher education at Carey! We are pleased to offer information about William Carey University as a place for excellent professional preparation. The teacher education program is characterized by:
• professionally educated and experienced faculty who care about you, the student;
• intense academic coursework that will help prepare you to effectively function in the 21st century classroom;
• a concern for your personal spiritual development so that you develop high moral standards that reflect integrity, Christian values, and an attitude of love and concern for all persons regardless of status;
• classes that are small enough to allow professor-student and student-student interaction;
• field-based experiences that provide experiences with students in a variety of diverse classroom/teaching settings prior to student teaching; and
• an assigned advisor who will help guide you through the completion of your program.
The School of Education uses the theme, “the caring teacher as a reflective decision-maker” as a guide for planning classes and experiences in your teacher education program. We will attempt to provide the knowledge and basic experience so that you can make appropriate decisions about learning experiences for the pupils that you teach.
Learning is not a passive activity. You will be expected to do your best and put forth much effort to accomplish the objectives of every course in the program. We ask that you commit yourself to becoming an educator committed to instructional excellence.
Dr. Tammie Brown
Dean, School of Education