Clinical Education Resources
Clinical Education Resources
Information on this webpage is provided as a resource to WCUCOM students and preceptors. Additional materials will be added over time with the aim of providing easily accessible materials for individuals working across a variety of clinical education settings.
Early Clinical Training Experiences
During OMS1 and OMS2, many students participate in early clinical field visit experiences at area health clinics and engage in clinical job shadowing with health care professionals in the community.
Community-Based Clerkship Training
Community-based training provides an excellent venue for OMS3 and OMS4 clerkships and affords WCUCOM the best opportunity of achieving its mission of training primary care physicians for rural and underserved areas of the Gulf South. WCUCOM has partnered with numerous hospitals to achieve this goal and has organized training around "Hub Sites."
Hub Sites are clinical training sites capable of providing all of the Core and Selective Rotations within an hour's drive of a central location. Osteopathic medical students in their third and fourth years (OMS3, OMS4) will reside and participate in the communities in which they are training. WCUCOM students will complete 20 months of rotations, 12 at their respective hub sites.
Rotations occur on a monthly basis, starting the first day of each calendar month and ending on the last day of the month, regardless of the number of days. Any time taken off during a rotation is scheduled at the discretion of the preceptor with the approval of the Associate Dean, Clinical Sciences. Students must complete 12 months of required and assigned rotations in their 3rd year. Students must also complete 8 months of rotations in their 4th year. In the 4th year, students are required to complete 4 months of selectives and 4 months of electives. All 4th year rotations must be approved by the Associate Dean, Clinical Sciences.
OMS3 Required and Assigned Rotations
- Family Medicine, 3 months
- Internal Medicine, 2 months
- Pediatrics, 1 month
- Emergency Medicine, 2 months
- General Surgery, 2 months
- OB/GYN, 1 month
- Mental Health, 1 month
OMS4 Elective Rotations
- Selectives, 4 months
- Electives, 4 months
A preceptor is an experienced practitioner who provides role support and learning experiences to students during their monthly rotations. A preceptor assists students in acquiring clinical skills required for safe, ethical, and quality practice.
The value placed on clinicians that foster the academic and clinical growth in our students is immeasurable. We are always looking for new preceptors. If you or anyone you know is interested in joining our program, please contact our office at 601-318-6094.
- Appointed WCUCOM Adjunct Clinical Faculty
Access to WCUCOM Library
- Health Science databases combine to provide access to approximately 4,600 e-journals
- Quick links available for Health Science Databases, Medical Ebooks, Off-campus Access, Library Hours of Operation, Getting Help, etc.
- Quick links available for e-journal databases like MEDLINE with Full-Text & PubMed, plus e-book databases like AccessMedicine & R2 Digital Library
- Access to DynaMed, which is designed primarily as a point-of-care resource conducive to handheld devices
- CME Credit
- Payment for each third year student assigned