William Carey University alumni and guests are invited to attend the 2017 homecoming festivities on Friday, March 31 and Saturday, April 1.
“In spite of the overwhelming damage to the campus, Carey is moving forward. We didn’t miss a beat with classes, and we won’t with Homecoming, either,” said Pam Shearer, director of alumni relations. “With creative planning and the support of our terrific alumni, we will have a great Homecoming weekend.”
Events will begin at 1:30 p.m. March 31 with the presentation of the homecoming court at Wheeler Field. The Crusaders baseball team will take on Bethel University at 2 p.m.
A Tea and Cookies reception for the classes of 1955-1967 will be held at 4:30 p.m. at Southern Oaks House and Garden, located at 1246 Richburg Road. The alumni banquet will be held at 5:30 p.m. at Southern Oaks followed by a Broadway Revue presented by the School of Music at 7:30 p.m.
Saturday’s festivities begin at 10 a.m. with a new event: The Decades Celebration. This event will honor the classes of 1957, ’67, ’77, ’87, ’97 and 2007 by recalling music and other trends from those years. Each decade will be featured during this celebration time at the new volleyball facility.
The annual Crawfish Cookout and Festival will be held at 11 a.m. at the Kennedy Sports Complex. The Crusaders will take to the field again at noon Saturday for the second game of the doubleheader with Bethel University.
Saturday’s events also include a book signing from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. featuring published alumni and faculty members and a poetry read at 2 p.m.
The Sports Hall of Fame induction and dinner at 6 p.m. at Southern Oaks will wrap up the weekend.
Click here to view a full schedule and to register. For more information, contact Pam Shearer at (601) 318- 6561 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Student Government Association will present several activities for students during the week.
- Monday: Movie Night at 9 p.m. in the Student Conference Center. Grab some popcorn and candy as you watch “Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2.”
- Tuesday: Outdoor Concert at 8 p.m. in front of Common Grounds. Listen to a Carey band play and enjoy a cold glass bottle of root beer.
- Wednesday: Homecoming Happy from 11 am. to 1 p.m. in front of the cafeteria. Be sure to get your homecoming treat
- Thursday: Tacky Tourist Semi Formal from 8 to 10 p.m. in the Student Conference Center. Throw on a Hawaiian shirt and socks with sandals to dance the night away. Refreshments will be served.
- Saturday: Crawfish Boil from 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Fix your crawfish craving and enjoy homecoming entertainment and activities.