Alumni from across the state joined William Carey University at a reception held in the chapel parlor of First Baptist Church Jackson on Tuesday, October 29. The reception was held in conjunction with the Mississippi Baptist Convention.
School Department News
In 1911, W. S. F. Tatum, wealthy lumberman and Methodist layman, acquired the property and offered it as a gift to the Baptists. He set two conditions: successful operation of a Christian school for girls for five years and an enrollment of at least one hundred students the first year. The property consisted of two surviving frame buildings and ten acres of cut-over land. A corporation was organized to own and control the college with nine trustees chosen from Baptist churches in Hattiesburg.
In September, 1911, the school opened with a new name, Mississippi Woman’s College, under the leadership of President W. W. Rivers. In November, 1911, the debt-free college was offered to the Mississippi Baptist Convention and was accepted.
The growth of Mississippi Woman’s College was a source of pride for Mississippi Baptists. Under the leadership of President J. L. Johnson, Jr., from 1912 to 1932, a splendid new administration building was completed in 1914 and named Tatum Court in honor of the college’s major benefactor. New brick dormitories were added (Ross and Johnson Halls) as well as an infirmary and a model home, which was used as a laboratory for domestic science classes. During this period, the campus expanded to 40 acres.
The college did not measure its progress simply with physical achievements. An early objective of Mississippi Woman’s College was to train intelligent, concerned citizens who could establish Christian homes. Curricula and activities were designed with this primary objective in mind. By 1925 college stationery boldly proclaimed on its letterhead, “Mississippi Woman’s College: The School with a Mission.” The student body dedicated itself to the mission of the college. Such dedication accounts for Mississippi Woman’s College becoming known by the late 1920s as one of the South’s outstanding Christian colleges for women. Continued growth and an emphasis on missions characterized the presidency of W. E. Holcomb from 1932 to 1940.
When the exigencies of the depression era forced the college to close in 1940, its facilities were used as army officers’ housing for nearby Camp Shelby. In 1946 Mississippi Woman’s College re-opened and underwent major renovations. Dr. I. E. Rouse was elected president in 1946 and served until 1956. In 1953 the Mississippi Baptist Convention voted to move the college into coeducational status after more than four decades of admitting only female students. This vote necessitated a new name for the institution. In 1954 the board of trustees selected the name of William Carey College in honor of the eighteenth century English cobbler-linguist whose decades of missionary activity in India earned him international recognition as the “Father of Modern Missions.”
Hattiesburg, Miss., August 13, 2013 - Celebrations of the 252nd birthday of Dr. William Carey, the “Father of Modern Missions” and William Carey University’s namesake will be held at 18 sites throughout the month. Carey was born on August 17, 1761, and each year, as part of Worldwide Carey Day, the university hosts gatherings and encourages alumni, students, and others associated with the university to honor his life.
WCU President Dr. Tommy King, and his wife, Sandra, will host two High Tea celebrations in the President’s Meeting Room in Wilkes Hall on the Hattiesburg Campus. The first gathering is for WCU alumni and will be held at 9-10 a.m. The second gathering is for WCU faculty and staff and will be held at 10-11 a.m. Drs. Bennie Crockett and Myron Noonkester, co-directors of the Center for the Study of the Life and Work of William Carey (1761-1834), will make remarks about Carey, his life and the Center.
For more information, contact Cindy Cofield, director of alumni relations, at (601) 318-6561 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hattiesburg, Miss., May 23, 2013 - Albert Galeas, a 2012 graduate of William Carey University and current Spanish teacher at N.R. Burger Middle School, was recently named District New Teacher of the Year for the Hattiesburg Public School District. Galeas, who teaches 7th and 8th grade students, began teaching at N.R. Burger in August. The award was presented by Hattiesburg Public School District Superintendent James Q. Bacchus during a ceremony at Hattiesburg High School of May 1.
Galeas completed his Bachelor of Arts in Christian Studies with a minor in Spanish in May 2012, and is currently pursuing his Master of Arts in Teaching in secondary education at WCU. The son of Armando Galeas and Endina Bailey, Galeas is originally from Honduras and moved to the U.S. at age 11. His family moved to Biloxi five years later, and he attended Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College in 2009 upon graduation from high school. After one year at MGCCC, Galeas transferred to Carey where he was an active member of Phi Delta Kappa (PDK). He recently served as keynote speaker for Carey’s 2013 PDK initiation.