Welcome to the School of Natural and Behavioral Sciences at William Carey University, Tradition Campus, where we offer an exceptional Master of Science degree in Counselor Education. This comprehensive program spans 60 semester hours, providing students with the knowledge and skills necessary to thrive in the counseling profession.
With a concentration in clinical mental health counseling, students receive coursework that is designed to meet the educational requirements for becoming a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) in the state of Mississippi, as well as eligibility to pursue national certification as a Nationally Certified Counselor (NCC).
Students pursuing the school counseling concentration gain the necessary coursework to apply for a Mississippi AA educator license in school counseling. Furthermore, this concentration also fulfills the requirements for becoming a Nationally Certified School Counselor (NCSC), ensuring national recognition for their expertise.
To cater to diverse learning needs, the Counselor Education Department employs various instructional methods. Most of our classes are offered online, while some classes require in-person participation. We believe in providing a flexible and engaging educational experience that suits the needs of our students to prepare them for the workforce.
Licensure and certification require successful completion of the corresponding examinations, fulfillment of experience requirements, and adherence to the licensing or credentialing agency guidelines.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Students can translate counseling theories into counseling practice and skills.
- Students will demonstrate an awareness of human development and career developmental issues.
- Students will function in a professional manner and adhere to ethical standards (ASCA Code of Ethics and/or the ACA Code of Ethics).
- Students incorporate multicultural theories into groups and counseling practice, while understanding the impact of one’s personal cultural identity upon the counseling relationship.
- Students will communicate skillfully in both written and oral form.
- Students will read current literature and implement research design methods for best practices.
- Students can implement current assessment and diagnosis tools.
To achieve these learning outcomes, the faculty utilizes various methods of instruction to include in person instruction, online classes, hybrid classes, and virtual hybrid classes. The Counselor Education Department utilizes various methods of instruction to include in person instruction, online classes, hybrid classes, and virtual hybrid classes.